Persons with Disability
If you, or someone you are travelling with, require special assistance during your journey through the airport, our trained staff will be on hand to make your arrival or departure from Malta as seamless and as comfortable as possible. You can book a special assistance Persons with Disability (PWD) service through your airline carrier at least 48 hours before departure.
More information regarding the PWD service can be requested by contacting Malta International Airport via telephone on +356 2124 9600 or by sending an e-mail on email@example.com.
PWD Service Call Points at the Air Terminal
The following Service Call Points are readily available at the airport to be used in order to trigger a PWD service:
- Service Call Point located near the transport drop-off area outside the Check-in Hall, close to Agenda Bookshop
- Service Call Point within the tunnel on Level -1, as you enter the main terminal building from the main car park
- Customer Services Information Desk within the Check-in Hall
- At the respective check-in counter/s
- Customer Services Information Desk at the Departure Gates
Upon arrival, passengers requiring special assistance are to inform a member of the crew who will, in turn, contact a member of the airport team.
Walking Distances at Malta International Airport’s Air Terminal
Distances for the various point-to-point transfers at the air terminal are as follows:
|Arrivals Entrance||Baggage Reclaim Area||250m|
|Arrivals Entrance||Park East (parking + rentals)||356m|
|Baggage Reclaim Area||Coaches Park||230m|
|Baggage Reclaim Area||Taxi stands||90m|
|Baggage Reclaim||Park East (parking + rentals)||606m|
|Pax drop-off point (Check-in)||Check-in counters||90m|
|Check-in counters||Security Area||250m|
|Check-in counters||Departure Gates||400m|
Due to operational constraints, some restrictions apply to Malta International Airport’s PWD service. Kindly familiarise yourself with these below.
Prior to Check-in:
Passengers requiring PWD assistance must be at the check-in desk according to the time stipulated by their air carrier or tour operator. If no specifications are indicated in advance, passengers need to present themselves by no later than an hour before the published departure time of their flight.
At Service Call Points:
Passengers accessing PWD service via the Service Call Points (see above) must arrive on time as instructed. If no prior arrangements are made, passengers must ensure that they arrive no later than two hours before the published departure time.
At Departure Gates:
PWD service requests from gates which are not booked or advised beforehand will be accepted if the service is requested at least 45 minutes before the flight departure time. The service may also be requested at the Customer Services Information Desk (near Gate 6) before proceeding to the Gate.
Other Facilities available at Malta International Airport:
- Priority seating inside the airport terminal
- Information desks, passenger lifts and PWD call points are all equipped with T-loop systems
- Elevating platform located on Level -1 to facilitate access to the food court and the PWD toilets
- Lifts and escalators to reach all floors of the air terminal
- Dedicated PWD washrooms in all areas of the air terminal
- PWD washrooms equipped with emergency cords to attract the attention of airport staff in case of an emergency
- Potable water fountains available at different heights
- Dedicated car park spaces in the main car park
- Full accessibility to all airport F&B and retail outlets, including the La Valette lounge at Departures
Levels of Service
Malta International Airport recognises that persons with disability (PWD) have the same rights to free movement and choice like other citizens. To this effect, the airport is committed to high-quality service and assistance to Passengers with Disability. Airport protocol ensures that all rights are respected as stipulated by the European Commission (EC), the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) and the European Civil Aviation Conference (ECAC). The airport fully adheres to international provisions as stipulated in the EC Regulation 1107/2006, the ICAO Annex 9, Chapter 9 document as well as the ECAC Document 30, Part 1.
This term includes, though is not limited to;
- people who are blind/low vision
- people who are deaf or w/hearing difficulties
- people with speech disability
- people with intellectual disability
- people with cognitive disability inc. mental health
- patients with pathological conditions
- people unable to stand/walk due to injury
- people using wheelchairs/with difficulty walking long distances or have dexterity issues
Malta International Airport commits itself to providing an excellent service in a professional, transparent, and non-discriminatory manner. These standards are monitored and reviewed on an ongoing basis to ensure that they are in conformity with EU Regulations. Malta International Airport shall ensure that high levels of customer service are reached by providing seamless service without compromising the safety of the PWD in any way.
The provider of services to persons with disability travelling through Malta International Airport is Aviaworks.
Provision of Service
Malta International Airport’s assistance and service to the PWD shall be provided free of charge during operating hours, provided that there are no significant emergency operational requirements at the airport.
In this regard, such service will be provided only if the PWD requests it within the following timeframes:
|On Departure||Average Waiting Time||Maximum Waiting time|
|Pre-advised Bookings||15 minutes||30 minutes|
|On-site Bookings||20 minutes||45 minutes|
|On Arrival||Average Waiting Time||Maximum Waiting Time|
|Pre-advised Bookings||3 minutes||5 minutes|
|On-site Bookings||15 minutes||45 minutes|
- Before check-in: no later than one from the time of departure
- At the Departure Gate: no later than 45 minutes from the time of departure
Malta International Airport is committed to providing the following services for the PWD:
- Assistance from the passenger’s arrival at the airport to the Check-in Hall
- Assistance with registration at check-in and through security processes
- Assistance in proceeding to the gate at the correct time for pre-boarding
- Assistance with the boarding and disembarkation processes, including the provision of a suitable service for passengers who require special access to/from the aircraft using an ambulift or another suitable means
- Assistance with the retrieval of baggage, and with the immigration and customs processes
- Assistance from/to connecting flights both for landside and airside
- Assistance up to the first point of onward travel (including land transport)
- Enabling the customer to use the airport facilities as requested (provided that there is sufficient time)
- Adequate assistance in case of (long) delays and/or cancellation of flights (covering the momentary needs of the PWD)
Compensation for Lost or Damaged Wheelchairs, other Mobility Equipment and Assistive Devices
Losses or damages to PWD equipment are dealt with in accordance with Regulation (EC) Nr 1107/2006 concerning the rights of disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility when travelling by air, by the airline (respective ground handler) with which the passenger would be travelling. Passengers who suffer loss or damage to their equipment are encouraged to contact their airline or respective ground handler for guidance regarding their rights with regard to compensation in such circumstances.